CONTACT | NEWSLETTER | PRESS |
Art Nouveau does not only refer to figurative arts, but also to architecture, city-planning, social and economic Italian developments occurring between the 19th and 20th century. Moreover it represents an exceptionally rich period characterized on the one hand by the economical growth and consolidation of cultural relationships within Europe and on the other hand by the birth of an artistic movement reaching the primary leading role in the international scenery. In Palermo, Art Nouveau flourished thanks to the works of the architect Ernesto Basile, the painter Ettore de Maria Bergler and the Ducrot family for the applied arts. Locally, it involved the main protagonists of the cultural world and the bourgeoisie during the period of activity of the Florio family who operated as ship owners and traders. The masterpiece of these cultural synergies is represented by Grand Hotel Villa Igea inaugurated in 1900. Many buildings and artworks in Palermo epitomize the ultimate change entering the XXth century in social organization and all other fields of arts.
The Gallery of Modern Art was born within this renovation climate and set up its own activities in 1906 after having been planned at the end of the 19th century. The Gallery collections preserve the treasures of the Palermitan Art Nouveau with works by Ettore de Maria Bergler, Salvatore Gregorietti, Vittorio Ugo, Mario Rutelli and Aleardo Terzi.
Galleria d’arte moderna E. Restivo (Gallery of modern Art) /Comune di Palermo
Via Sant’Anna, 21
Phone: ++39 0918431606
Fax : +39 0918431606
Università di Palermo, Facoltà di architettura (Dipartimento di Storia e Progetto nell’Architettura) / University of Palermo, Faculty of architecture (Department of Architectural Planning and History)
Fondazione Banco di Sicilia, Palermo / Banco di Sicilia Foundation, Palermo
Fondazione Whitaker, Palermo / Whitaker Foundation, Palermo
Accademia di Belle Arti , Palermo / Academy of Fine Arts
accademia di palermo
Universita degli studi di Palermo
Distretto Culturale di Palermo
With the support of the Culture Programme of the European Union