The Synagogue of Subotica listed as one of the Europe’s 7 most endangered monuments and sites by Europa Nostra
Europa Nostra announced on 4 May in Vienna the list of the Europe’s 7 most endangered monuments and sites, among them, the Synagogue in Subotica.
This is one of the finest examples of Art Nouveau religious architecture in Central Europe. Designed by Hungarian architects Marcell Komor and Dezsö Jakab and built in 1902, the Synagogue of Subotica combines a modern concrete and steel structure with traditional decorative elements from Hungarian Folk Art. It is acknowledged as a Monument of Culture of Exceptional Importance.
At the time the synagogue was built the city had a large Jewish population of around 3,000 people. After World War II, this number fell and a building of this size could no longer be sustained. Nonetheless, the synagogue remains of huge importance to the Jewish community both locally and internationally.
The building was used by the Subotica National Theatre for a number of years but is now empty, with visitor access available only one day a week, and its condition has inevitably deteriorated.
Despite the restoration works undertaken in recent decades, the building remains highly endangered. International expertise and solidarity are needed to save this architectural and cultural gem. Urgent action is therefore needed.
Rescue missions will be organised during and after the summer and feasible action plans proposed by the end of the year.
Source: Europa Nostra
More information about this and the Europa Nostra programme
Picture: Synagogue of Subotica, Marcell Komor and Dezsö Jakab, 1902, photo by Viktorika Aladzic
Publication Emile and Henriette Gallé Correspondence 1875-1904
Publication recommended by our partner of Ecole de Nancy Museum
If the "Writings for art” which brings together many texts of Gallé that his wife Henriette published in 1908, four years after the death of her husband, say a lot of our artist (born in 1846 in Nancy, where he died in 1904 ), they do not tell the whole story. Only his extensive correspondence enables actually to grasp his complex personality of man and artist. What is revealed here is certainly the inaccessible part, also the most intimate, of the correspondence of our artist which must be considered as unpublished: the one, crossed between the two spouses, preserved by their descendants.
Published by the Bibliothèque des arts
Softback, 352 pages, 16 color illustrations, 29 €
Picture: Illustrated with the coupe Roses de France, conserved at the École de Nancy Museum
Sant Pau Modernista Hospital in Barcelona now open to the public
Sant Pau, the world's largest Art Nouveau Site, is for several weeks open. The visitor programme invites the visitor to learn about Lluís Domènech i Montaner's most important work and the outcome of one of the most significant restoration projects in recent years.
In the Art Nouveau Site, the union of history and architecture carries us back to the early years of the twentieth century, when Barcelona was undergoing its greatest phase of urban growth. The visit takes the visitors on a journey through the evolution of one of the oldest medical institutions in Europe, showing how the Art Nouveau complex was designed and built and explaining its current use as an internationally acclaimed centre for knowledge.
Guided visits are available in Catalan, Spanish, English and French
More information about the history of the Hospital and how to visit
Picture: Detail of the Sant Pau Hospital
Art Nouveau Digitalization: a successful finish for the Partage Plus Project
After two years of work, the Partage Plus Project has reached its successful conclusion.
Over the course of the project, partner institutions - among them the RANN member cities Aveiro, Brussels, Vienna, Barcelona, Helsinki, Alesund, Ljubljana - have digitized and uploaded into Europeana over 75.000 records: including museum-quality objects, details of art nouveau architecture, works on paper and other archival material.
The project was funded by the European Commission, and it was realized with the cooperation of 25 partner institutions from all over Europe.
More information about the process and the results of the Project
Visit the Central website of the project, as well as the Partage Plus material on Europeana
Picture: K.K. Kielland, Norway
Terrible blaze at the Glasgow School of Art – 23 May 2014
A terrible blaze, which started in the basement just before lunchtime, hit the Glasgow School of Art on 23 May 2014.
Firefighters who were at the scene within four minutes of receiving the first emergency call brought the fire under control, but it damaged much of the west wing of the Category-A listed building where students were preparing for their final-year degree show.
Besides the “hen run”, the library, which housed rare and archival materials including periodicals from the early 19th century and publications about Mackintosh, was destroyed. A team of specialist conservation staff from Historic Scotland is now working with the school's own archivists to retrieve and conserve vulnerable materials.
The school site remained under the control of the Scottish fire and rescue service until Friday 30 May for the salvage operation. Students from the Glasgow School of Art formed a guard of honour to send fire crews on their way as they left the campus.
The art school said that online donations had grown into tens of thousands of pounds, and it was overwhelmed with offers of practical support from conservators, curators and specialists around the world.
If you wish to support the Glasgow School of Art:
For offers of financial support please click here to donate via the page The Big Give
For offers of practical assistance, please e-mail in the first instance to Alan Horn, Director of Development at email@example.com
Discover PagePark's reflection - conservation architecture firm
Picture: The Glasgow School of Art in flames, Photograph: Craig Watson/SNS Group