Network News
Filter by
   
Find it!
Records  241- 255 of  277  
page           17   

133th issue of Les Nouvelles du Patrimoine (The Heritage news)


The issue n°133 of Les Nouvelles du Patrimoines (The Heritage News) is dedicated to the Art Nouveau-Art Déco Biennial event taking place in Brussels from 8 to 30 October 2011.
N°133 october-november-december 2011. Published by the Friends of the UNESCO. ISSN 0773-9796. In French. 4€.


Photo: 

"The Brilliance of an Era - Art Nouveau jewelry from Europe", at the Mathildenhöhe  - 21 August to 11 December 2011


This exhibition, already shown at the Leopold Museum until 25 July 2011, is to present exquisite objects from the Hessian State Museum in Darmstadt as well as from private collections. The holdings of the Hessian State Museum are based on the Arts-and-Crafts collection of the Dutch court jeweller Karel A. Citroen (*1922). Citroen began collecting in 1952, at a point in time when it was not at all fashionable to collect artisan craftwork from the Art Nouveau. By 1959, the Amsterdam-based jeweller had succeeded in bringing together several hundred objects from all over Europe, with the main focus being on jewellery. Source:www.leopoldmuseum.org


Photo: 

"Portraits of the Belle Epoque", at the CaixaForum Barcelona  - from 20 July to 9 October 2011


Through three generations of painters -Anders Zorn, Édouard Manet, Ramon Casas, Edvard Munch, Pierre Bonnard, Édouard Vuillard, Hermen Anglada Camarasa, Max Oppenheimer, Oskar Kokoschka, Egon Schiele, Max Pechstein, Ernst L. Kirchner, Giovanni Boldini, John Singer Sargent, Joaquim Sorolla, Valentín A. Serov, Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec...- , the exhibition approaches different aspects of the portrait in order to reflect the transition from an initial state of mind, triumphant and self-confident in the early years, to the acute critical anxiety of the Expressionist portraits of the last ones, which close the itinerary of our show. Source: www.caixaforum.com


Photo: 

"Art Nouveau in Portuguese tiles. Feliciano David and Graciete Rodrigues Collection" at the Aveiro City Museum - 16 July to 2 September 2011


The exhibition has around 120 tiles panels from the Art Nouveau period. It's the first exhibition taking place in Portugal focusing on ly in Art Nouveau design in the tile production of the time. It has panels from the most important Portuguese factories: Sacavém, Fonte Nova, Desterro, Caldas da Rainha, Lusitânnia, Constância and Carvalhinho. 


Photo: 

New post-graduate on Charles Rennie Mackintosh at the University of Glasgow


The University of Glasgow is offering a new post-graduate taught-degree at MA level entitled "Mackintosh, Glasgow and International Art Nouveau". This degree explores how at the turn of the last century, Glasgow artists, architects and designers actively participated in the articulation of a modern style across Europe that has since become known as International Art Nouveau. It introduces Scotland's key players in these debates such as Charles Rennie Mackintosh and the Glasgow Four but frames their contributions within a distinctly cross-continental context that takes into account key Art Nouveau centres such as Brussels, Paris, Vienna, Barcelona, Budapest, Munich, Riga etc. As Britain's only Art Nouveau city, Glasgow offers unparalleled resources for work placement opportunities and collections-based research in areas that are both local and international in orientation. Enrolment for commencement in September 2011 is now open. For more information please consult the History of Art webpage at http://www.gla.ac.uk/postgraduate/taught/mackintosh/


Photo: 

"Hotel Aubecq. Victor Horta" at the Royal Museum of Fine Arts - 1 July to 3 October 2011


Following the reconstitution of the Hôtel Aubecq facade, this free exhibition tracing the history of this masterpiece of architectural heritage of Brussels and bringing together some of his furniture, will be hosted by the Royal Museums of Fine Arts from July 1 to October 9, 2011. Visitors will also have the opportunity to appreciate the architectural quality of the facade, through organized visits to the warehouse where it is reconstituted. It is flat reconstructed, they can admire the work of stone, metalwork and woodwork like never before. 
With the Hôtel Aubecq, named after its industrialist sponsor Octave Aubecq, Victor Horta, a pioneer of Art Nouveau in Belgium, produces about 1900 one of his masterpieces. Built on the prestigious Avenue Louise, this exceptional achievement combined the original plan by the shape of its parts and luxury. A real urban palace, the Hôtel Aubecq that took more than three years of work - if we count the interior furnishings made to measure, was the pride of Victor Horta. 
The work of Victor Horta in Brussels marked a major imprint, which is why, as part of this anniversary, several cultural events will be undertaken throughout the year in Brussels around the personality of Victor Horta and his work. Photo : © Arch.Victor Horta-SOFAM Belgique.


Photo: 

A new website for the Reseau Art Nouveau Network! 


You are now experiencing the new design of our website, which is available in English and will soon be available in French and partly in five other languages. The menu has been re-organized for you to easily find all the information needed. The most part of the content has remained the same, but if you find an empty section or a page that is not updated, please keep in mind that the new website is still in construction!


Photo: 

A new presentation leaflet of the Réseau Art Nouveau Network!


In the framework of the project Art Nouveau & Ecology, the Réseau Art Nouveau Network decided to create a new leaflet to introduce the 15 partners of the project and the 21 members of the Réseau Art Nouveau Network association. The printed version of the leaflet is not available yet, but the English-French-German PDF version is already online.
See English-French-German PDF version in high resolution or low resolution


Photo: 

The Réseau Art Nouveau Network elected a new board of administration


The new board of administration of the association Réseau Art Nouveau Network elected on June 3d, 2011:
President: Breda Mihelič, UPIRS (Urban Planning Institute of the Republic of Slovenia, Ljubljana, Slovenia)
Vice-President: Lluis Bosch Pascual (Institut del Paisatge Urbà i la Qualitat de Vida, Barcelona, Spain)
Treasurer: Daniela Protti (Regione Lombardia - Giunta Regionale, Direzione Generale Culture, Identità e Autonomie della Lombardia, Regione Lombardia, Italia)
General secretary:  Manoëlle Wasseige (Ministry of the Brussels-Capital Region - External Relations, Bruxelles-Brussel, Belgium)
Board member:  Helen Kendrick (Mackintosh Heritage Group - Glasgow City Heritage Trust, Glasgow, United Kingdom)


Photo: 

Glasgow’s Art Nouveau Architecture - Heritage Project and Exhibition for schools in Glasgow 2011


‘Art is the flower – Life is the green leaf/Let every artist strive to make his flower a beautiful living thing – something that will convince the world that there may be – there are things more precious – more beautiful more lasting than life’ Charles Rennie Mackintosh, quote from ‘Seemliness’ lecture, Glasgow 1902. 
Every year, Glasgow City Heritage Trust work with pupils from schools across the city on workshops exploring the architecture in Glasgow.  In 2011 the focus is on Art Nouveau, and, cameras in hand, pupils aged 15 from schools across Glasgow went out to learn more about, and photograph, the Art Nouveau heritage in the city. The pupils have taken trips to some of the most iconic buildings in the Art Nouveau style, including Charles Rennie Mackintosh’s masterpieces The Glasgow School of Art, The Lighthouse, The Willow Tearooms and House for An Art Lover. An exhibition of the pupils work will be on display at the Glasgow City Heritage Trust from August-Dec 2011. www.glasgowheritage.org.uk


Photo: 

A new website dedicated to Béla Lajta


Created by the Budapest City Archives, the website gathers virtual archives of the work of famous Hungarian architect Béla Lajta and a biographical documentation. It is available in Hungarian and English. Know more: http://lajtaarchiv.hu/ 


Photo: 

A monument dedicated to Gustav Mahler was erected in Ljubljana


A new public monument to Gustav Mahler(1860-1911) was unveiled in the beginning of July in Ljubljana in honour to the great composer and conductor. Mahler spent one year in Ljubljana at the beginning of his musical career (1881-82) as the conductor of the Philharmonic orchestra. The monument was given the name “The Poem of the Earth” by the sculptor Bojan Kunaver, great admirer of Mahler. The great master is represented with a strange instrument in his hand, in reference to his last unfinished 10th symphony.Ljubljana dedicated the whole year 2011 to his memory and closed it with a big concert of Mahler’s Symphony of thousands (1906). It was performed by 1200 musicians from Slovenia and Croatia (21 choirs, solo singers, two philharmonic orchestra on the stage) on the renewed Congress square, which was supposedly the biggest concert in 2011 in Europe. The concert celebrated 20 years of independence of Slovenia and opened the summer festival of Ljubljana .


Photo: 

A new citymap of Woluwe-Saint-Lambert by the Direction of Monuments and Site of the Brussel-Capital Region


Following Saint-Josse, Etterbeek, Ixelles, Molenbeek-Saint-Jean, Saint-Gilles, Schaerbeek, Woluwe-Saint-Pierre, Anderlecht, Uccle and Forest, it is the turn of the town of Woluwe-Saint-Lambert to unveil its partly Art nouveau heritage. The bilingual street maps (available in French and in Dutch), aimed at adults as well as youngsters, offer different walks to discover the architectural richness of the towns.
Download the map in PDF in French or Dutch


Photo: 

25th anniversary of the "Barcelona posa't guapa" campaign


The campaign “Barcelona posa’t guapa” is celebrating its 25th anniversary this year. The objective of this initiative, which the Institut Municipal del Paisatge Urbŕ i la Qualitat de Vida coordinates, is to develop actions to protect and improve the city’s urban landscape and place value on its architectural heritage by producing routes and publications.
These 25 years of activity of the “Barcelona, posa’t guapa” campaign have ensured a large number of buildings and Modernista elements have been restored. Among the most emblematic, we can highlight Casa Batlló, La Pedrera, Casa Amatller, the porches of the Boqueria Market, Casa Golferichs, the old Estació de França, Escola Zafra and Finca Sansalvador (see map).
In Barcelona, regulation and control of exterior advertising has generated income of 15.9 million euros, which the Institut del Paisatge Urbŕ has earmarked entirely for spending on actions to improve the landscape by restoring buildings and striking elements within the city. The campaign “Barcelona, posa’t guapa” also facilitates a wide programme of subsidies aimed at incentivising the restoration of private buildings. This campaign has managed to encourage restoration of a total of 42,174 buildings in Barcelona, representing 31% of the city’s structures.


Photo: 

Old bridge found a new location in Ljubljana


At the end of 18th century in England the new furnace for melting iron using coke was invented. Cast iron quickly became very accessible and unexpensive, enabling the production of revolutionary technical novelties. Because of its unique spreading quality, cast iron is one of the key materials that have contributed to the development of the industrial revolution. The City of Ljubljana tendered the construction of a cast iron bridge to replace the old wooden Shoemaker bridge in 1867 to architect Johann Hermann from Vienna ; the bridge was named after Ljubljana's mayor, Hradeckega. Today, the bridge is recognized as one of the most important national cultural heritage due to its technical characteristics. The fact that the bridge was fully manufactured in the Slovene foundry in Dvor by Žužemberek, gives also an added value as the local knowledge was activated in the work process. Moreover the bridge has a special place among other Ljubljana bridges due to its 'vagabond' nature. It stayed in the original location till 1931 when it was replaced with the new concrete Shoemaker bridge. According to the regulation of the river Ljubljanica banks, the Hradeckega bridge was moved to a new location by the morgue of the main Ljubljana hospital as suggested by Jože Plečnik. The new location labelled the new name of the bridge, The Bridge of death. From 2004 the bridge was closed for cars due to its dilapidation and the City of Ljubljana began to prepare its revitalisation. In 2009 the bridge was finally removed and brought to a slovene company, where the reconstruction was made. Now the bridge has a new location and gains back its original name Hradeckega bridge: the decision was made upon the connecting needs and high identity value of selected location. The idea of connecting the riverbanks of Trnovo and Prule was already very realistic among previous urban planners and architects in Ljubljana, like Duffy, Fabiani and Plečnik. In March 2011, the UPIRS (Urban Planning Institute of the Republic of Slovenia) joined the beautiful event of connecting both ends of the bridge . Pedestrians and cyclists will be able to cross the bridge from June 2011.
Source: Ljubljana, 3-4, 2007 (Municipality of Ljubljana official newsletter), Internet 1: ljubljanski.projekti.si , Internet 2: http://www.delo.si/clanek/60909 , Internet 3: http://www.eljubljana.si/on/2283-ljubljana-bo-dobila-nov-most


Photo: 

With the support of the Culture Programme of the European Union

Responsible publisher: Arlette Verkruyssen, General Director,
Brussels Regional Public Service - Bruxelles Développement urbain (Brussels Urban Development),
CCN - Rue du Progrès 80, B. 1, 1035 Brussels - Belgium