Nieuws van het Netwerk
Filter by
   
Find it!
Records 256-270 of 288  
page           18   

New post-graduate on Charles Rennie Mackintosh at the University of Glasgow


The University of Glasgow is offering a new post-graduate taught-degree at MA level entitled "Mackintosh, Glasgow and International Art Nouveau". This degree explores how at the turn of the last century, Glasgow artists, architects and designers actively participated in the articulation of a modern style across Europe that has since become known as International Art Nouveau. It introduces Scotland's key players in these debates such as Charles Rennie Mackintosh and the Glasgow Four but frames their contributions within a distinctly cross-continental context that takes into account key Art Nouveau centres such as Brussels, Paris, Vienna, Barcelona, Budapest, Munich, Riga etc. As Britain's only Art Nouveau city, Glasgow offers unparalleled resources for work placement opportunities and collections-based research in areas that are both local and international in orientation. Enrolment for commencement in September 2011 is now open. For more information please consult the History of Art webpage at http://www.gla.ac.uk/postgraduate/taught/mackintosh/


Photo: 

"Hotel Aubecq. Victor Horta" at the Royal Museum of Fine Arts - 1 July to 3 October 2011


Following the reconstitution of the Hôtel Aubecq facade, this free exhibition tracing the history of this masterpiece of architectural heritage of Brussels and bringing together some of his furniture, will be hosted by the Royal Museums of Fine Arts from July 1 to October 9, 2011. Visitors will also have the opportunity to appreciate the architectural quality of the facade, through organized visits to the warehouse where it is reconstituted. It is flat reconstructed, they can admire the work of stone, metalwork and woodwork like never before. 
With the Hôtel Aubecq, named after its industrialist sponsor Octave Aubecq, Victor Horta, a pioneer of Art Nouveau in Belgium, produces about 1900 one of his masterpieces. Built on the prestigious Avenue Louise, this exceptional achievement combined the original plan by the shape of its parts and luxury. A real urban palace, the Hôtel Aubecq that took more than three years of work - if we count the interior furnishings made to measure, was the pride of Victor Horta. 
The work of Victor Horta in Brussels marked a major imprint, which is why, as part of this anniversary, several cultural events will be undertaken throughout the year in Brussels around the personality of Victor Horta and his work. Photo : © Arch.Victor Horta-SOFAM Belgique.


Photo: 

A new website for the Reseau Art Nouveau Network! 


You are now experiencing the new design of our website, which is available in English and will soon be available in French and partly in five other languages. The menu has been re-organized for you to easily find all the information needed. The most part of the content has remained the same, but if you find an empty section or a page that is not updated, please keep in mind that the new website is still in construction!


Photo: 

A new presentation leaflet of the Réseau Art Nouveau Network!


In the framework of the project Art Nouveau & Ecology, the Réseau Art Nouveau Network decided to create a new leaflet to introduce the 15 partners of the project and the 21 members of the Réseau Art Nouveau Network association. The printed version of the leaflet is not available yet, but the English-French-German PDF version is already online.
See English-French-German PDF version in high resolution or low resolution


Photo: 

The Réseau Art Nouveau Network elected a new board of administration


The new board of administration of the association Réseau Art Nouveau Network elected on June 3d, 2011:
President: Breda Mihelič, UPIRS (Urban Planning Institute of the Republic of Slovenia, Ljubljana, Slovenia)
Vice-President: Lluis Bosch Pascual (Institut del Paisatge Urbà i la Qualitat de Vida, Barcelona, Spain)
Treasurer: Daniela Protti (Regione Lombardia - Giunta Regionale, Direzione Generale Culture, Identità e Autonomie della Lombardia, Regione Lombardia, Italia)
General secretary:  Manoëlle Wasseige (Ministry of the Brussels-Capital Region - External Relations, Bruxelles-Brussel, Belgium)
Board member:  Helen Kendrick (Mackintosh Heritage Group - Glasgow City Heritage Trust, Glasgow, United Kingdom)


Photo: 

Glasgow’s Art Nouveau Architecture - Heritage Project and Exhibition for schools in Glasgow 2011


‘Art is the flower – Life is the green leaf/Let every artist strive to make his flower a beautiful living thing – something that will convince the world that there may be – there are things more precious – more beautiful more lasting than life’ Charles Rennie Mackintosh, quote from ‘Seemliness’ lecture, Glasgow 1902. 
Every year, Glasgow City Heritage Trust work with pupils from schools across the city on workshops exploring the architecture in Glasgow.  In 2011 the focus is on Art Nouveau, and, cameras in hand, pupils aged 15 from schools across Glasgow went out to learn more about, and photograph, the Art Nouveau heritage in the city. The pupils have taken trips to some of the most iconic buildings in the Art Nouveau style, including Charles Rennie Mackintosh’s masterpieces The Glasgow School of Art, The Lighthouse, The Willow Tearooms and House for An Art Lover. An exhibition of the pupils work will be on display at the Glasgow City Heritage Trust from August-Dec 2011. www.glasgowheritage.org.uk


Photo: 

A new website dedicated to Béla Lajta


Created by the Budapest City Archives, the website gathers virtual archives of the work of famous Hungarian architect Béla Lajta and a biographical documentation. It is available in Hungarian and English. Know more: http://lajtaarchiv.hu/ 


Photo: 

A monument dedicated to Gustav Mahler was erected in Ljubljana


A new public monument to Gustav Mahler(1860-1911) was unveiled in the beginning of July in Ljubljana in honour to the great composer and conductor. Mahler spent one year in Ljubljana at the beginning of his musical career (1881-82) as the conductor of the Philharmonic orchestra. The monument was given the name “The Poem of the Earth” by the sculptor Bojan Kunaver, great admirer of Mahler. The great master is represented with a strange instrument in his hand, in reference to his last unfinished 10th symphony.Ljubljana dedicated the whole year 2011 to his memory and closed it with a big concert of Mahler’s Symphony of thousands (1906). It was performed by 1200 musicians from Slovenia and Croatia (21 choirs, solo singers, two philharmonic orchestra on the stage) on the renewed Congress square, which was supposedly the biggest concert in 2011 in Europe. The concert celebrated 20 years of independence of Slovenia and opened the summer festival of Ljubljana .


Photo: 

A new citymap of Woluwe-Saint-Lambert by the Direction of Monuments and Site of the Brussel-Capital Region


Following Saint-Josse, Etterbeek, Ixelles, Molenbeek-Saint-Jean, Saint-Gilles, Schaerbeek, Woluwe-Saint-Pierre, Anderlecht, Uccle and Forest, it is the turn of the town of Woluwe-Saint-Lambert to unveil its partly Art nouveau heritage. The bilingual street maps (available in French and in Dutch), aimed at adults as well as youngsters, offer different walks to discover the architectural richness of the towns.
Download the map in PDF in French or Dutch


Photo: 

25th anniversary of the "Barcelona posa't guapa" campaign


The campaign “Barcelona posa’t guapa” is celebrating its 25th anniversary this year. The objective of this initiative, which the Institut Municipal del Paisatge Urbŕ i la Qualitat de Vida coordinates, is to develop actions to protect and improve the city’s urban landscape and place value on its architectural heritage by producing routes and publications.
These 25 years of activity of the “Barcelona, posa’t guapa” campaign have ensured a large number of buildings and Modernista elements have been restored. Among the most emblematic, we can highlight Casa Batlló, La Pedrera, Casa Amatller, the porches of the Boqueria Market, Casa Golferichs, the old Estació de França, Escola Zafra and Finca Sansalvador (see map).
In Barcelona, regulation and control of exterior advertising has generated income of 15.9 million euros, which the Institut del Paisatge Urbŕ has earmarked entirely for spending on actions to improve the landscape by restoring buildings and striking elements within the city. The campaign “Barcelona, posa’t guapa” also facilitates a wide programme of subsidies aimed at incentivising the restoration of private buildings. This campaign has managed to encourage restoration of a total of 42,174 buildings in Barcelona, representing 31% of the city’s structures.


Photo: 

Old bridge found a new location in Ljubljana


At the end of 18th century in England the new furnace for melting iron using coke was invented. Cast iron quickly became very accessible and unexpensive, enabling the production of revolutionary technical novelties. Because of its unique spreading quality, cast iron is one of the key materials that have contributed to the development of the industrial revolution. The City of Ljubljana tendered the construction of a cast iron bridge to replace the old wooden Shoemaker bridge in 1867 to architect Johann Hermann from Vienna ; the bridge was named after Ljubljana's mayor, Hradeckega. Today, the bridge is recognized as one of the most important national cultural heritage due to its technical characteristics. The fact that the bridge was fully manufactured in the Slovene foundry in Dvor by Žužemberek, gives also an added value as the local knowledge was activated in the work process. Moreover the bridge has a special place among other Ljubljana bridges due to its 'vagabond' nature. It stayed in the original location till 1931 when it was replaced with the new concrete Shoemaker bridge. According to the regulation of the river Ljubljanica banks, the Hradeckega bridge was moved to a new location by the morgue of the main Ljubljana hospital as suggested by Jože Plečnik. The new location labelled the new name of the bridge, The Bridge of death. From 2004 the bridge was closed for cars due to its dilapidation and the City of Ljubljana began to prepare its revitalisation. In 2009 the bridge was finally removed and brought to a slovene company, where the reconstruction was made. Now the bridge has a new location and gains back its original name Hradeckega bridge: the decision was made upon the connecting needs and high identity value of selected location. The idea of connecting the riverbanks of Trnovo and Prule was already very realistic among previous urban planners and architects in Ljubljana, like Duffy, Fabiani and Plečnik. In March 2011, the UPIRS (Urban Planning Institute of the Republic of Slovenia) joined the beautiful event of connecting both ends of the bridge . Pedestrians and cyclists will be able to cross the bridge from June 2011.
Source: Ljubljana, 3-4, 2007 (Municipality of Ljubljana official newsletter), Internet 1: ljubljanski.projekti.si , Internet 2: http://www.delo.si/clanek/60909 , Internet 3: http://www.eljubljana.si/on/2283-ljubljana-bo-dobila-nov-most


Photo: 

Re-opening of the Trinkkuranlage in Bad Nauheim


After three years of construction and renovation, the Trinkkuranlage is open again to the public. The grounds were remodelled and in the former gargling-rooms a new kitchen has been installed for the adjoining café. The hall for meetings and events has got a modern annex with wardrobes and toilets.The historic dispensing fountain and the Kurbrunnen have not been touched.
The horsehoe-shaped Trinkkuranlage is part of the spa facilities. The balneotherapy of the Sprudelhof would consist in drinking the healing waters from three mineral springs in Bad Nauheim. In the Belle Epoque, there were concerts several times a day and the place with its colonnades was a popular meeting point for the international visitors.
Now concerts, exhibitions and all kind of events will put new life into the Trinkkuranlage and make it attractive again for the inhabitants of Bad Nauheim.


Photo: 

A new guidebook to Secessional Architecture of Rijeka


Rijeka was for a long time a very important port and industrial town, but from 2000 its production diminished. Now the city is trying to convert itself into a touristic centre with emphasis on local historical and architectural values. Within the city territory, the main criteria regarding the selection of buildings and their inclusion into the guide framework are determined by the need to show to the citizens and tourists the existing Secessional buildings within the longer or shorter walk through the city centre. The buildings are chosen because of their importance, complete shape, composition of volume, the manner in which the interior space was constituted and because of the typical elements of the façade ornamentation suggesting the Secession decorative nature in its outer morphological configuration. The historical criterion embraces the early 20th century, i.e. the first two decades including also proto-rationalist architecture which announced more recent modern styles(1900-1925). During this period, Rijeka was ruled by Budapest governor while the architects were educated either in Budapest or in Vienna, so the architecture of Rijeka demonstrates a specific shape under various European influences of Secession style. 
Daina Glavocic – Julija Lozzi-Barkovic –Jasna Rotim-Malvic, Guidebook - Secessional Architecture of Rijeka (Croatia). DPU, Rijeka, 2011. In Croatian.


Photo: 

Release of the 16th issue of the CoupDefouet magazine, Barcelona


CoupDefouet is published by the Urban Landscape Institute of the Barcelona City Council , which has the common commitment to find useful and efficient mechanisms for the protection and promotion of Europe’s Art Nouveau heritage. 
Coup de Fouet n°16 cover  and table of contents


Photo: 

Women, Hand wowen Rugs, Home Industry at the Museum of Ethnology, Budapest - June 24, 2011 - August 26, 2012


The exhibition in the Museum of Ethnography in Budapest presents hand-woven wool rugs made in 19th century peasant households together with applied art objects produced by the turn-of-the-century home industry workshops of the country.
 
In some peasant communities woven wool rugs were major items in a woman’s trousseau, they played a part in the important occasions in human life. In the last decades of the 19th century, together with other creations of folk art, scholars and politicians became aware of woven rugs, discovering their aesthetic value and also seeing in them the possibility for integrating peasant work and women’s work, thus helping women to rise out of poverty. Amongst the newly created home-industry workshops, especially those in Torontál County (today part of Vojvodina, Serbia) played an important role the history of Hungarian applied arts, producing rugs and tapestries based on local “archaic” patterns, as well as on the designs of major art nouveau designers. (Pál Horti, János Vaszary).

Photo: 

With the support of the Culture Programme of the European Union

Responsible publisher: Arlette Verkruyssen, General Director,
Brussels Regional Public Service - Bruxelles Développement urbain (Brussels Urban Development),
CCN - Rue du Progrès 80, B. 1, 1035 Brussels - Belgium