Exhibition The Bigot Pavilion – Art Nouveau Architectural Ceramics from Paris at the Museum of Applied Arts in Budapest – from 26 April 2013 to 31 August 2014
In 2013, the Budapest ensemble of Alexandre Bigot’s monumental architectural ceramics can be seen for the first time since the Paris World's Fair of 1900. The ensemble was acquired with government funds by the director Jenő Radisics at the Paris Universal Exposition 1900 and has never been on display so far.
Alexander Bigot’s pavilion constructed of Art Nouveau architectural sample pieces –wall revetments, fireplace frames, columns with plastic decorations, brackets, friezes- was bought entirely by the museum and was transported to Budapest after the exposition. The objects were deposited in the huge basement of the Museum of Applied Arts.
The designers of the architectural ceramics were such outstanding French architects and sculptors of the period like Jules Lavirotte (1864-1924) or Paul Jouve (1878-1973). Similar pieces of architectural ceramics displayed at the exhibition can be found on facades of several Art Nouveau apartment buildings and palaces in Paris even today.
The present exhibition hints at the future of the museum, expressing the desire that many hidden artworks in the collection, such as these, should be displayed – something which will only be possible after the reconstruction of the building designed by Ödön Lechner.
Photo: Musem of Applied Arts, Budapest