Network News
Filter by
   
Find it!
Records 11-15 of 441  
page  3            

Restoration of the Synagogue in Subotica


The Subotica Synagogue is one of the most precious pearl of the Central European built heritage. While most of the synagogues dating from the second half of the 19th century were built in the style of Historicism, Subotica Synagogue is unique for being conceived in pure Art Nouveau style (in variant of Hungarian Secession). It was designed by Hungarian architects Marcell Komor and Dezső Jakab in 1902, whose differing talents shaped the building into a unique masterpiece. The central part dome was built in an advanced constructive innovation, carried on iron construction supported by eight iron pillars.

Besides its great architectural and artistic values, the Subotica Synagogue also presents a memory of 4,000 Jewish citizens of Subotica, who have died in nazi-camps during the World War II. After a long time of decay and two unsuccessful and unfinished restauration attempts, during 70s and 90s of the XX century, just in past few years began the renovation of this significant Subotica's building. Between 2004 and 2006 the restauration works of the roof and domes were realized, meanwhile all four facades of the construction were successively renovated in last three years.

Finally, in November 2016 the restauration works of the interior began, financed entirely by donations of the Government of the Republic of Hungary. It is projected that the work should be finished by December 31st of this year, when it is supposed that Subotica Synagogue recover its glow, seized more than a half a century ago.

Restauration works of the interior on Subotica Synagogue are performed by consortium, leaded by YUMOL Company from Subotica, and it is supervised by Institute for the Protection of Cultural Monuments of Serbia, from Belgrade.

Pictures:
1) The Subotica Synagogue after restoration of all facades, September 2016 © Institute for the Protection of Cultural Monuments of Serbia
2) The Subotica Synagogue before the beginning of restauration of interior, September 2016 © Institute for the Protection of Cultural Monuments of Serbia 3) The Subotica Synagogue before the beginning of restauration of interior, September 2016 © Institute for the Protection of Cultural Monuments of Serbia 4) The Subotica Synagogue, building scaffolding in interior, January 2017 © Institute for the Protection of Cultural Monuments of Serbia
5) The Subotica Synagogue, rebuilding of the flor, December 2016 © Institute for the Protection of Cultural Monuments of Serbia
6) The Subotica Synagogue, restauration works on the fence, January 2017 © Institute for the Protection of Cultural Monuments of Serbia


Picture: Subotica Synagogue after restoration of all facades, September 2016 © Serbian Institute for Protection of Cultural Monuments

Restoration of the Darvas-La Roche House in Oradea - 2017


The house is a masterpiece of the Secession style, conceived during the years 1909-1912 by the brothers László and József Vágó in their hometown of Oradea.

The funding was granted with a main goal which is to enhance the cultural heritage of the Secession style in Oradea. The objectives of the project are the conservation and restoration of the house; its transformation into a museum; Access to digitization; Implementation of a sustained promotion campaign to increase the number of visitors to 66, 70% ; Facilitating and increasing visits of people with disabilities; Reach an approximate number of 5000 visitors per year; Establish a cultural center that can promote active social life by encouraging cultural, tourist and youth exchanges.

The works for the rehabilitation of the external and internal spaces include the repair of the parging, the rehabilitation of the framework, the painting of the facades, the restoration of the Zsolnay ceramic buttons (with the eosin glaze), the restoration of missing stained glass windows, but also the small fountain that sat in the middle of the winter garden in accordance with the original architectural project.

More information on the restoration

More information on Darvas La Roche House


Picture: Detail of the Villa Darvas-La Roche © Szamody Zsolt

Photo contest Photograph your heritage in Brussels – 15 December 2017


Get yourself and your cameras ready for the photo contest Photograph your heritage from the Direction of Monuments and Sites of the Brussels-Capital region.

As part of the European year of cultural heritage that will take place in 2018, you are all warmly invited to take part to this photo contest: express what represents the Region’s heritage best according to you through photographs. The best photographs will be part of an exhibition during 2018.

Taking part to this event is easy, find the rules of the photo contest on the Heritage Department website and subscribe directly online before the 15th of December.

More information


Picture: Poster of the photo contest "Photograph your heritage" © Direction des Monuments et Sites, SPRB

Opening of the Otto Wagner Pavilion Karlsplatz in Vienna – from 1st April to 5 November 2017


On Saturday, April 1, the Otto Wagner Pavilion Karlsplatz opens its doors for visitors after the winter break. Built in 1898 in the period of construction of the city railway, the building is a model of Viennese Art nouveau.
The pavilion hosts a presentation on the life and work of the architect as well as a shop.

The Otto Wagner Pavilion on Karlsplatz

The Art Nouveau pavilion was erected in 1898 in the course of Stadtbahn construction. Otto Wagner planned two portal buildings of identical design. Today, the Wien Museum uses the west pavilion, where the trains once left for Hütteldorf.
Wagner's design was revolutionary. The many decorative details make the station into a prime example of Viennese art nouveau. Metal and wood were painted apple-green, the signal colour of the Stadtbahn. Gold, and finest white marble were added on the exterior.
The planning for the underground rail junction of Karlsplatz in the late sixties threatened the pavilion with demolition. Protests followed; the station building was dismantled and re-erected in 1977, but elevated 1.5 m above its old level on the square. Now at last the west pavilion is paying Otto Wagner the homage due to him - with the new Otto Wagner Documentation exhibition.

The permanent exhibition dedicated to Otto Wagner

Breathing fresh life into a jewel of art nouveau: a permanent exhibition documenting Otto Wagner is being presented in the Stadtbahn Pavilion on Karlsplatz.
He was a trailblazer of modernism and one of Vienna's most influential architects: Otto Wagner. Yet there has never been a permanent exhibition documenting the life and work of this versatile architect. This gap is now filled by the Otto Wagner Pavilion, part of the Wien Museum and one of the most photographed tourist attractions in Vienna.
This trade mark of Art Nouveau on Karlsplatz has been redesigned inside by the BWM architects' office and, from 26 August, will provide the authentic background for a close-packed Otto Wagner presentation. It documents the genesis of Wagner's most famous designs, including the Church in Steinhof, the K.K. Postsparkassenamt (Post Office Savings Bank), as well as the revolutionary Stadtbahn project (light urban railway) and the modern residential buildings. It will also reveal another perspective: Otto Wagner as a radical theorist and polemicist against traditionalism and the cliché of the "idyll". Besides numerous documents, the show includes two models and is not only a fascinating homage to the architect - it also invites the visitor to set off through the city of Vienna and explore his trail. The curators of the Otto Wagner Documentation are Renata Kassal-Mikula and Isabelle Exinger; Erwin Bauer is the graphic designer.

Otto Wagner - Architect & Visionary

Otto Wagner (1841-1918), architect, "artist of building", urban planning theorist and academy professor, was one of the great pioneers of the Viennese modern movement. He left the "Gründerzeit" (the period of industrial and cultural expansion in the late nineteenth century) and its mask-like historicism behind him to propagate a new form of architecture, more in keeping with the life and times of modern people. Wagner's designs combined technical and constructional functionality with high aesthetic criteria.
Despite his many adversaries and disappointments, Otto Wagner was one of Vienna's most successful architects. His Post Office Savings Bank and the Church in Steinhof are key buildings of European architecture around 1900. As the general planner of the Vienna Stadtbahn (the light urban railway), he designed a Gesamtkunstwerk of constructional technology, a synthesis of the arts that added new accents to the cityscape.
Wagner was also an incisive and polemic author. Although advanced in age, in his study "The Expanding City" he continued to develop radical ideas for a future mega-city, regulated and laid out according to practical requirements.

More information 


Picture: Otto Wagner Pavilion Karlsplatz © Wien Museum, photograph: Hertha Hurnaus

Exhibition Horta in America 1916-1918 at the Autrique House – from 28 January to 1st October 2017


Exiled in the United States during the Great War, Victor Horta, accompanied by his wife, discovered the excesses of nature and architecture in America. For four years, he led the life of an itinerant lecturer in the United States: while Julia, his second wife, pleaded the cause of wounded Belgium, Horta spoke of the treasures of old art. His architectural conceptions will be disrupted.

More information


Picture: Poster of the exhibition "Horta in America 1916-1918" © Maison Autrique

With the support of the Culture Programme of the European Union

Responsible publisher: Arlette Verkruyssen, General Director,
Brussels Regional Public Service - Bruxelles Développement urbain (Brussels Urban Development),
CCN - Rue du Progrès 80, B. 1, 1035 Brussels - Belgium